Monday, September 01, 2014

10 Books That Have Stayed With Me/Had a Lasting Impact

If you are on Facebook, you have probably seen the challenge to list 10 books that have "stayed" with you or had a lasting impact. But here's the thing...Only 10? That's insanely difficult. There are more than 10 C. S. Lewis books alone! There are more than 10 theology books outside of Lewis... there are more than 10 fiction books outside of Lewis... But here are the first 10 that come to mind (I will include series at times as one item though):

 1. The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis
 2. Mere Christianity by C. S. Lewis
 3. The Screwtape Letters by C. S. Lewis
 4. The Abolition of Man by C. S. Lewis
 5. The Great Divorce by C. S. Lewis
 6. The Space Trilogy by C. S. Lewis
 7. Til We Have Faces by C. S. Lewis
 8. The Problem of Pain by C. S. Lewis
 9. The Weight of Glory by C. S. Lewis
 10. A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'Engle

After I posted this first one on Facebook, one of my friends claimed I was cheating by posting (almost) all Lewis books on my 1st list and challenged me to do it again without Lewis on the list because, everyone already knows I love his works. So here is my second list:

1. The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning
2. Abba's Child by Brennan Manning
3. The Brothers Karamazov by Dostoyevsky
4. A Wrinkle in Time series by Madeline L'Engle
5. The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien
6. Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton (At least the chapter on the Ethics of Elfland)
7. The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas (I read this in 8th grade for class, then again for fun, and then again in 9th grade for class. It was my favorite book for a time.)
8. Honest to God: Wrestling Your Way to Intimacy with the Creator by Charlie W. Starr
9. The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
10.Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson (I remember reading this in elementary school and it had a lasting effect on me.)

 What are the 10 books that have stayed with you?

No comments: