Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Book Review: Letters from a Skeptic by Greg Boyd

Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about ChristianityLetters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions about Christianity by Gregory A. Boyd
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Letters from a Skeptic takes place over the course of three years, as Greg Boyd does his best to answer his father’s questions about Christianity through a series of correspondence. Boyd is as articulate as ever here, and very readable for those unfamiliar with theology, as he tries not to get too technical or use too many big theology words. His father wrestles through many questions I have found myself asking over the years. Some of the questions addressed are:

Why has Christianity done so much harm?
Why is the world so full of suffering?
Is the risk of freedom worth all the suffering?
Does God know the future?
Why did God create Satan?
Why trust the Gospel accounts?
How can you believe that a man rose from the dead?
Why do you think the Bible is inspired?
What about the “holy books” of other religions?
Why does God make believing in Him so difficult?
Do all non-Christians go to hell?
How could an all loving God torture people in an eternal hell?
Isn’t the Christian life impossible to live?
How can another man’s death pardon me?
How can I be sure it’s all true?

I highly recommend this book to anyone and everyone: to the doubter and to the one for whom faith comes more easily, that you might better understand those who doubt.

(I can also recommend the audio version; I liked hearing the letters written by Greg Boyd in his own voice.)

View all my reviews

See the list of books I've read in 2014.

No comments: